Saturday, December 20, 2014Contact Us Translate this page to ► EspañolFrançaisItalianoArabicJapanese

The Sama Gazette was founded in 2009 by French artist Max Dana. It is a place to share and discuss on various topics: Design, Music, Food, Art, Movies and also organizations / campaigns we support. The editorial content is produced independently; we have been given ‘carte blanche’... More

Be a Follower on Twitter!
Add to Favorites Websites
One click to Visit Us
Add to Favorites Websites
Read our latest Updates

C'est la vie in France

French driver parks car on metro stairs
Art, Culture, Design

Shanghai’s first underground luxury hotel
Art, Culture, Design

Art in Sudan: Elshafei Dafalla Mohamed
From Max Dana's Blog

South Sudan and Sudan; news roundup about the complex, intertwined situation

Homepage

35 Comments

Retweet! Facebook

Digg This! Delicious

Reddit StumbleUpon

Add to Favorites

Email this article

Print this article

Permalink to this Article

Translate to: EsFrItArJap

Contact Us!

- Feedback / Submit a News
- Become a Contributor / Op-Ed Submissions

Onyx Skull Ring by Wendy Brandes

Did you know a skull could be so 'beautiful'?

By Sama Team | October 14, 2009

Whether you're into jewelry or not, sometimes you can fall for a ring. On a totally different style from the Milly Carnivora created by Victoire de Castellane for Christian Dior we presented you this Summer, the Onyx Skull Ring created by Wendy Brandes is awesome and we know someone who will be very interested by this kind of dark onyx jewelry when she will read this post...

Ring description: One-of-a-kind, hand-made 18K ring with large onyx skull at center, surounded by pave tsavorites. For the ultimate in subtle luxury, diamonds are set on the inside of the ring. Price available upon request. 18K gold, onyx, tsavorites, diamonds.

About Wendy Brandes (from the official website):

Wendy Brandes is strongly influenced by the stories of fascinating women, whether they lived in the 16th century or the Swinging '60s. She creates pieces that are bold and eye-catching, yet feminine and organic. Mechanical pieces that open and close, unscrew or twist are her specialties.

On a more personal note, we also like the Marie Antoinette Ring - $12,500.00...

#1

Sama Reader Muzzi

Great style indeed but definitely for women, not men.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 3:27 pm

#2

Sama Reader Dittta

This ring is totally my style but I guess the price is way over my budget…….. Why very cool things are also the most expensive ones? So frustrating! *Pouting*

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 3:32 pm

#3

Sama Reader Witz

I don’t like skulls and I don’t like gems either but I have to admit the work seems to be very well done.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 3:41 pm

#4

Sama Reader Moshuo

This ring is big, very manly but it also looks gorgeous :)

I’m looking for someone to offer it to me, anyone? ;)

Bises
Moshuo

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 3:48 pm

#5

Sama Reader Karmitto

I didn’t like the Milly Carnivora ring but this ring is nice. I really would like to know its price….

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 4:05 pm

#6

Sama Reader Juliette

I want the skull ring!!! :P

Arnold, you know how much I love you, you’re my man. Why not offering me this ring for Christmas? Please :)

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm

#7

Sama Reader LILLYAC

If the Marie Antoinette Ring cost $12,500.00 I can’t imagine how much will cost the Onyx Skull Ring :roll:

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 6:12 pm

#8

Sama Reader Pilar

¡Hola!

Nice ring but I was wondering if we know the origin of the green gems? Maybe they’re coming from conflict zone, maybe they’re blood gems like there is blood diamonds? Who knows exactly? The designer maybe?

Besides that, the ring is looks great :)

¡Adios!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 6:17 pm

#9

Sama Reader Moshuo

That’s a very good question Pilar…………….. ?

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 8:08 pm

#10

Sama Reader Ponditi

Gold could be, onyx I don’t think so, tsavorites maybe, and diamonds probably yes.

But who knows and most of all, who cares?

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm

#11

Sama Reader Simcha

My uncle works with diamonds at Anvers and when I asked him if he knows where they were coming from he answered me he couldn’t trace them and that if every diamond seller does, it would kill the diamond market if they suddenly decide to cut blood diamonds from the market……..

Unbelievable but true. Nothing is going to change anytime soon, I can tell you :(

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 11:45 pm

#12

Sama Reader Yull

Got the solution: don’t get a girlfriend :P

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 3:19 am

#13

Sama Reader Arnold

My sweet Juliette, you know I’m not a rich man. But you still love me, right? :P

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 9:02 am

#14

Sama Reader Zarzuel

LOL Juliette you’re a feminist and you ask your man to pay for your ring? Interesting feminist concept ;)

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 10:54 am

#15

Sama Reader Hulksman

Yull, you’re right but all the girlfriends don’t ask for expensive jewelry, excepted Juliette of course!

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 1:28 pm

#16

Sama Reader Gino

This is not a ring for men but even not a ring for women!!!

Juliette I know you were kidding, they’re playing with you because they have a twisted mind, don’t care ;)

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 2:46 pm

#17

Sama Reader Mark

For once Juliette, I think they are being very rude with you :P

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 3:17 pm

#18

Sama Reader Toby Miller

Wendy Brandes is a famous designer I already heard her name somewhere and I’m not into jewelry stuff at all.

This skull ring is for bikers with money :)

Toby.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 6:09 pm

#19

Sama Reader Gulove

So is Max Dana a biker?

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 7:33 pm

#20

Sama Reader Juliette

Thanks for your unexpected support Mark, you can be so kind sometimes. If Arnold is not rich enough, so maybe are you. I’m going to switch Arnold for Mark ;)

I’m kidding -again (just so nobody believes everything I said about Arnold, the switch and Mark being supportive. But I still want the ring ;) )

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 7:35 pm

#21

Sama Reader J.T. Brown

Juliette, you’re one of a kind..

Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 11:59 pm

#22

Sama Reader Arnold

She sure is :)

And I would never buy this kind of ring even if I was rich enough to ;)

Friday, October 16, 2009 at 12:24 pm

#23

Sama Reader Darun-Wi

Gulove asked a good question: is Max Dana a biker or not? I’m really curious to know…..

Friday, October 16, 2009 at 2:46 pm

#24

Sama Reader Hulksman

Yes you are Arnold!

Gulove/Darun-Wi: I’m not sure you’re going to get an answer on that my friends :P

Friday, October 16, 2009 at 5:07 pm

#25

Sama Reader Pilar

¡Hola!

All the (kind of personal) information we can get about Max is on her blog. They will never tell us anything about her on the Gazette. But if we read between the lines, we can learn a lot. So maybe Max Dana is a biker…… It’s part of the mystery Jajaja

¡Adios!

#28

Sama Reader Mark

Oh yeah tease me Moshuo, tease me :twisted:

Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 12:18 am

#29

Sama Reader Karmitto

This guy is totally crazy but we love him, right Juliette? ;)

Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 9:47 am

#30

Sama Reader Yull

LOL :twisted:

Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 12:03 pm

#31

Sama Reader Juliette

I guess so Karmitto………… :roll:

Saturday, October 17, 2009 at 1:51 pm

#32

Sama Reader WendyB [+] Visit Website

Thanks for mentioning me! I’m glad you like the ring. It’s one of my favorites to wear and a one-of-a-kind piece. The Marie Antoinette uses the same setting but I’m only doing this one with the skull. To answer some questions, both rings were made by hand in New York, which is why the quality is so high. I do these kind of pieces one of a time — it takes many weeks to do something like this — they’re not stamped out by the hundreds or thousands at some factory in Asia. The green stones are tsavorite and I only work with gem wholesalers who guarantee in writing that they buy their stones from legitimate sources.

A number of my rings that were originally designed for women (like this one was) have been worn by stylish men! I’m totally in favor of that.

Anyone who is in New York this weekend might want to check out my sample sale. The info is here: http://wendybrandes.com/blog/2009/10/reminder-sample-sale-friday-and-saturday/ There will be lots of serious discounts but not on the onyx skull — sorry! That one’s never going on sale.

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 7:26 pm

#33

Sama Reader BettyKohn

I’ll be in New York this weekend and I know BoConcept, I’ll come and have a look at your great jewelry ;)

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 8:15 pm

#34

Sama Reader Pilar

¡Hola Wendy!

Thank you for the info and letting us know the stones are coming from legitimate sources. I didn’t really care before but now I know about the blood diamonds it’s really something I care about. So that’s great you are also concerned about that, it makes your jewelry even more beautiful ;)

¡Adios!

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 8:53 pm

#35

Sama Reader Moshuo

See Gino, the designer herself says the rings have been worn by stylish men :)

I wish I lived in New York… :roll:

Thanks for stopping by Wendy!

Bises
Moshuo

Friday, October 23, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Topic(s):Burlesque, SteampunkChic and Couture

RELATED STORIES

Tag(s):

RELATED STORIES

Previous Post

Next Post

Copyright © - Max Dana (Official Site) -- Max Dana (Blog) -- The World of Sama (Art Website) -- The Sama Gazette (News Website) -- da-eYe . All rights reserved - Policies | Contact Us.