Wednesday, November 25, 2015Contact Us Translate this page to ► EspañolFrançaisItalianoArabicJapanese

The Sama Gazette was founded in 2009 by French artist Max Dana. It is a place to share and discuss on various topics: Design, Music, Food, Art, Movies and also organizations / campaigns we support. The editorial content is produced independently; we have been given ‘carte blanche’... More

Be a Follower on Twitter!
Add to Favorites Websites
One click to Visit Us
Add to Favorites Websites
Read our latest Updates

C'est la vie in France

French driver parks car on metro stairs
Art, Culture, Design

Shanghai’s first underground luxury hotel
Art, Culture, Design

Art in Sudan: Elshafei Dafalla Mohamed
From Max Dana's Blog

South Sudan and Sudan; news roundup about the complex, intertwined situation

Retweet! Facebook

Digg This! Delicious

Reddit StumbleUpon

Add to Favorites

Email this article

Print this article

Permalink to this Article

Translate to: EsFrItArJap

Contact Us!

- Feedback / Submit a News
- Become a Contributor / Op-Ed Submissions

Aung San Suu Kyi back to home confinement

By Sama Team | August 11, 2009

Aung San Suu Kyi, Burmese Human Rights Activist, was found guilty of violating the terms of her house arrest by a military court Tuesday. The court sentenced Suu Kyi to a year-and-a-half of house arrest. On May 3, John William Yettaw, a 53-year-old former military serviceman from Falcon, Missouri, illegally entered Suu Kyi's home and stayed there for two days. This presence violated Suu Kyi's house arrest and she has been sentenced to serve 18 more months in home confinement.

This sentence is so unfortunate! Just when the government has said next year's scheduled elections will reintroduce democracy in Myanmar. The Nobel laureate will very unlikely be able to participate, of course. This is a masquerade, truly. The 64-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner has spent 14 of the past 20 years in home confinement and we hope this time the international community will react strongly. I recommand you to read Max Dana's post about the situation in Burma, published almost 2 years ago on Max Dana's Blog: Burma: Aung San Suu Kyi and a thousand monks. Again. This post made me realized how bad was the situation there.

Aung San Suu Kyi has gained the support of citizens around the world and we hope she will stay strong enough to finally win this 'battle' against the junta.

Sama Reader Juliette

This is a SHAME! This woman fought all her life for democracy and the junta won’t let her speak freely.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 11:42 am

Sama Reader Oleg

Agreed but you know, some other countries do the same with journalists, some even get killed for their writings..

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Sama Reader Nouni

Myanmar government doesn’t want her to be president. If she’s freed, then she will be elected, that’s for sure and the junta will never take that risk.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Sama Reader Arnold

Yes it’s a shame and I think we should all fight for her rights because if free speech is not tolerated in Burma and if we accept it so we will end losing it everywhere.

Like my sweet Juliette said: SHAME

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Sama Reader Mark

Yeah………. I’m still convinced we can’t change anything at all. Like for North Korea, we have to wait the leaders to die and be replaced by young men eager for power…..

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Sama Reader Moshuo

Damn, you’re such a cynic Mark! On the contrary I think Aung San Suu Kyi needs our support now.

Thanks to the Gazette to bring us great articles like this one and the one about blood diamonds. Here we can enjoy and learn and share. That’s really great 😉

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Sama Reader BettyKohn

I agree with Moshuo, you are way too cynic Mark 😈

Oleg, you are from Russia, right? Were you thinking of Anna Politkovskaya? Because what happened to her was really horrible :(

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 5:24 am

Sama Reader Simcha

I’m shocked by the international community reaction, almost nothing, not a wave. Maybe there are bigger interests at stake like Max said in the post on her blog. Shame you said? Damn right!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Sama Reader Oleg

Yes Betty, I thought of Anna Politkovskaya but not only her, sadly…

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Sama Reader Lissa

I read somewhere she was sick. I can’t even imagine she would die in home confinement. So, so sad!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Sama Reader Karmitto

I think it’s all about money and oil. Total is a french company and they get money from extracting the petroleum in Burma and then give money back to the junta…. France should be ashamed as well as many other countries doing the same in Burma.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Sama Reader Yull

+1 Karmitto.

Add the US in your list 😳

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Sama Reader Mark

LOL Karmitto- Call me a cynic all you want but obviously I’m not the only one to think we are all a bunch of hypocrites 😈

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Sama Reader Dittta

Aung San Suu Kyi will have access to television and newspapers, maybe she will be also granted an internet connection. And read the Gazette and enjoy our support to her 😉

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Sama Reader Darun-Wi

She will appeal her sentence to the country’s high court, let’s see if it’s gonna change something. Fingers crossed.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Sama Reader Arnold

We still hear a lot about Anna Politkovskaya in France, I think there will be another trial but it will not change anything since it must be the mafia that killed her (that’s what I read).

As for Suu Kyi, I’m not confident her sentence will be shortened after the appeal, I can even be more than 18 month……… ;(

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Sama Reader Simcha

I take back what I said earlier about the poor international community reaction. The UN expressed serious concern over the conviction of Aung San Suu Kyi.

But I still believe western countries have too many interests in Burma to change their politics. Karmitto mentioned the french company Total and it’s a blatant example of what’s happening: surrender of principle for money, that’s it.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Sama Reader Yull

You’re all sooooo right about the situation I’m starting to feel ashamed too 😳

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Sama Reader Avi

Aung San Suu Kyi’s fate is unacceptable, but I’ve heard John Yettaw was taken to hospital for epileptic seizures… The guy got seven years in prison with hard labor.

Friday, August 14, 2009 at 10:13 am

Sama Reader Mark

Avi, Yettaw thought he was on a mission from God to save Aung San Suu Kyi. I’m sure the guy will also think he’s on a mission from God when he’ll be in prison with hard labor 😈

Friday, August 14, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Sama Reader Oleg

Hard labor is nothing fun even for the crazy guy like him…………

Friday, August 14, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Sama Reader Nouni

Yettaw has been released, he will never go for hard labor. But Suu Kyi is back to home confinement.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Sama Reader Juliette

Pretty unfair, indeed.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Sama Reader Arnold

There is something I don’t get: Suu Kyi was married to a British man and she has two sons with him. So why England doesn’t do more for Suu Kyi? It’s like, once again, United States is the white knight saving us all. You know I love America but that’s sometimes the way we feel in Europe 😳

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Sama Reader Dittta

LOL Arnold, America is no white knight! It’s a myth :)

Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 4:44 pm

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Topic(s):Raison d'être

Previous Post

Next Post

Copyright © - Max Dana (Official Site) -- Max Dana (Blog) -- The World of Sama (Art Website) -- The Sama Gazette (News Website) -- da-eYe . All rights reserved - Policies | Contact Us.